A Wonderful Way to Preserve Mushrooms
Just about any meaty wild mushroom is fair game for pickling. Portobello, trumpet, oyster, cèpes, maitake, chicken of the woods, and morel mushrooms all work spectacularly well as pickles.
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 garlic cloves
½ tsp black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 kg/2lb 4oz wild mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
1. Place all of the ingredients except the mushrooms into a saucepan and add 500ml/18fl oz water.
2. Bring to the boil and add the mushrooms. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
3. Remove the mushrooms from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside to dry on a clean tea towel for 3-4 hours, or until completely dry.
4. Pour some olive oil into a 1 litre/1¾ pints
5. The mushrooms will keep for two months unopened. Use within 3-4 days once opened.